A place for you to indulge in my stories and thoughts as I travel and discover life in Africa. There will be no promises made, as I remain open to any opportunity but this should keep us connected as I share my endless experiences.

"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything" - Vincent Van Gogh
So we go onwards to adventure...

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Life is a song that we all must sing along

The air feels tense and it's an eery place here in Kampala. Presidential elections have taken over the country with their bountiful campaign posters, trucks filled with chanting supporters and blaring scratchy AP systems at all hours of the night, and much talk about whether it will be violent or peaceful. Voting started yesterday putting us expats on house arrest for the weekend and possibly longer. School has been closed for a week and hopefully we will return wednesday, possibly thursday. The announcements are made tomorrow so depending how the votes talley we may be urged to stay in the safety of our gated homes and barred windows. Riots, chaos and mob scenes can be common since people tend to get stupid and violent at this time.
There was one that actually broke out down the street from our house last week which Terri happened to witness. She came running into the house on the verge of tears and I knew something was serious. I hugged her trying to calm her and we were both trembling, but for different reasons - mine out of fear of what had just happened, and her out of fear of what she had just seen. Once her scare simmered, she gave me the details. I will retell them as I remember...She had taken a bodda home from downtown and for some reason, her senses told her to get dropped off at the bottom of our hill as she felt the bodda driver was not to be trusted. Just as she got off, a car came speeding down the road, the driver swerved to miss her, spun out of control spinning across the road and hitting a brick wall. The male passenger appeared to be dead as he limply hung out of the window. Right behind, a swarm of boddas came chasing the car accompanied by one police on bike as well. People from all over swarmed the car and began looting, while a group pulled the lady driver from the car, her head and arms bleeding, and starting savagely beating her. Terri's bodda driver ran to the car and stole the wallet from the unconcious passenger and pocketed it. Seeing this, she scolded him and informed the busy police officer that he had taken the wallet aka evidence to a level headed and civil witness. Suddenly, realizing that this was an uncontrolled and dangerous scene, her adrenaline hurried her home to safety.
I was stunned by the unravelling of events and the behaviors of these people. Indefinitely it is scary to know that we are surrounded by poverty, leading to jealousy, and ultimately resulting in an insignificant value for life. How this toxic behavior detriments the lives of others, without a selfless care that their grim behavior is reflective of their moral being was astonishing to me. It is truely unnerving and somewhat nauseating to perceive such merciless attitudes that people contrive from these situations. Regardless of our past, we are human beings and this malicious and savage behavior is not how we are intended to think or do. Why they were chasing this car is unknown but it was the mere fact that noone showed any sign of compassion for the human race that left me unsettled.

On a safer note, we have a day guard, Jude. He's a 20 year old diligent worker who has become part of the family. He's very inquisitive and loves to share his knowledge, which he does have from being the dependent of his 7 year old sister, working 6 days a week, 10 hour days, and attending night school. He does our yard work, cleans our house twice a week, washes our clothes and dishes and keeps us organized. I get a kick out of him because he really does care about us and his choice of words tend to make me laugh. For example, when I go on walks I tell him to come save me if I'm not back by dark. He replies telling me he will pray instead because he does not enjoy trouble. So we may have a timid guard weighing maybe 130lbs soaking wet, but at least he prays for our safety...

The technical problems in Uganda are always an unpredictable or inexplainable issue and our power goes out daily, ranging from 2 to 24 hours, but it has taught us to focus on the simple joys of life and to not overstock our freezer with meat. Even with the daily challenges (working for your water, settling for dirty cold water from a non pressurized shower head, avoiding the territory of our resident snake...), I wouldn't trade this experience for anything - I feel very content with where I am but remain anxious for the unknown paths ahead. I haven't been able to take as many pictures as I would like because being the only white person in a busy condensed market, it can feel a bit beyond that touristy feeling when whipping out a camera to take a picture of ones daily routine. I guess you just have to be here to know what I mean..

I had to leave early from school on tuesday because my malaria pills (mefloquine) got the best of me and I kinda lost my mind. I'm off them and never again will I go that route! I have been taking them once a week and have been experiencing extremely vivid dreams, relative to life and surroundings, some viciously frightening, others quite amusing and some just bizarre...So I struggled through the morning's tasks while being struck by waves of gut wrenching pains and then was forced to throw in the towel. I tried to shrug it off thinking it was just my body adapting to all the changes but these symptoms told me otherwise: extremely weak and naucious, fluctuating thermal temperatures, stomach pains, dizzy, blurred vision, light headed, arms were numb, sore neck and back, and completely emotional. All I could do was rest and drink lots of water. It took me a few days to regain my body and mind but it sure was a wicked trip!

The kitchen is coming along...in fact, I've actually been doing a lot of baking! Except it's not so glorious when baking for 220 people, rotating batches with 3 small baking pans, no measuring cups, and one oven with no temperature dial. It's kinda a fun game of never knowing if it will turn out...
Spent friday afternoon downtown in search of a few necessities like frying pans, a knife sharpener (they were using the cement steps outside which have dulled them completely and makes me cringe at the thought), and whatever else we could find. Trips downtown never seize to amaze me...So hectic, chaotic, and busy. Just mindblowing sights, sounds and smells. People carrying 10 bed mattresses on their head, or a dozen boxes of bottled sodas through the swarms of people walking every direction, dodging traffic going every direction!  They are so strong... Shopping of any kind is far from easy or convenience here...At home we are told to not text and drive whereas here it is dangerous to text and walk.

Believe me, it's quite contrary to what you may think is all bad news...Cost of living is cheap, weather is pleasing, and I'm surrounded by inspirational people...can't complain...

But always look forward to hearing from you at home...

K
xoxo

ps. If you want to read more about the elections click these links...

http://www.monitor.co.ug/
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0103/09/i_ins.00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment